Building Better Business: Systems for Success
Thanks for joining me for the day! I hope you got value out of the Building Better Business day and will attend others in the future. I know I will! Here is a list of resources that I mentioned, as well as some of the things YOU mentioned in our discussions. If I’ve missed something, don’t hesitate to send me an email and let me know, and I’ll be happy to add it to this page.
Too-Much-To-Do Lists Resources
A fun and fascinating read. In NY Times reporter Charles Duhigg’s best-sellling The Power of Habit, he explores the science behind how our brains form habits, and what we can do to re-form and replace habits more easily than you might think.
The book that started a movement, Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is over-the-top crazy to some readers, but resonates with others.
Dave Crenshaw – Small business advice in video tidbits, plus a good Lynda.com tutorial on Time Management Fundamentals (requires Lynda.com subscription) He also has books, although I haven’t read them so can’t recommend them.
Lynda.com-some free content, including Monday Productivity Pointers
Reticular Activating System-Read about How Your Brain Controls Your Attention from www.dummies.com
[email protected] is an online subscription service that plays music mixed specifically to aid concentration
AND students in class recommended the following books:
The Marshmallow Test: Why Self-Control is the Engine of Success by Walter Mischel
Super Better by Jane McGonigal
Reading the Numbers Resources
- National Retail Federation
- website full of resources, including the Retail Insight Center
- Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE)
- find a mentor in your area or online
- downloadable business planning templates
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Khan Academy-free mini-classes on many topics, including Three Core Financial Statements
- Coursera-free online university classes including Foundations of Business
- The Quickbooks Small Business Center provides information, even if you don’t use the software.
- Accountingcoach.com is a wealth of information
- TNNA’s Industry Data-free to members; a new survey will be done in 2016
There are many cash flow and open-to-buy worksheets online, but the two I used in class are here for your use. Please download it for your use. If you find errors or if it doesn’t work for you, please let me know!