With over 25 years of experience in the fiber arts industry, I have a wealth of knowledge regarding pattern writing and publishing. I offer the following services on an hourly basis.
- Instruction writing
- Technical editing
- Schematic and chart preparation (both knit & crochet) in ready-to-print format (.eps, .pdf, etc.)
As of November 1, 2020, I charge $42/hr for knitting and crochet technical editing and chart and schematic illustration. I keep very careful time records by using an online timer, including during any phone consultations. Of course, I wouldn’t be charging you at the beginning while we negotiate the work! I can provide time sheets if necessary. I also provide consulting and project management services.
My availability to take on new clients or projects varies; contact me using the form below and I’ll be back in touch quickly to discuss the work and a timeline. If you contact me prior to needing the work done “now”, chances are better that I can fit you into the schedule.
Here’s a typical work flow:
- We decide on the scope of what I would be doing for you and a timeline for next steps (see Working With a Tech Editor).
- You email me the pattern instructions in Word or pdf format, including charts and schematics, and either the finished items or excellent close-up pictures of the items. For a larger project, such as a book, we might agree to break it down into sections, or you might send me the whole thing at once.
- You send me your style sheet if you have one.
- I save the file as FILENAME_ee1, then do the tech edits and return edited files to you. In order for you to see my changes, I will leave on “track changes” in Word documents and will “comment” on rather than “edit”, pdfs. Usually these files will have queries for you to respond to.
- You save the document as a FILENAME_ee1_yourinitials1, respond to the queries, and return the file to me.
- I save the file as FILENAME_ee2_yourinitials1, and accept changes, make additional edits if necessary, and return the file to you.
- If additional back-and-forth is necessary, we will continue to use the same file with incremental numbering as established. Note that you should not send an entirely new file each time; this requires that I start the edit over again as I won’t know what has been changed.
- Once the pattern is finalized, I send you a bill due upon receipt. I accept payment in USD via check (preferred) or via PayPal.
Save yourself time and money by taking the time to make sure your pattern is as complete and accurate as possible. If you need help in these areas, take my online course Crochet Pattern Writing Workshop.